Friday, November 6, 2009

Forty-four Blessed Years

Ah, yes, the "teen" marriage that wasn't "supposed" to last -- according to the experts! That was in 1965. But marriages and homes and families built on God's principles, as revealed in His Word, are for a lifetime. My sweetheart and I have been blessed with 44 years of happy, ordinary, but oh-so-wonderful wedded bliss.

We had exceptional examples in both sets of parents and grandparents. Marriage for a lifetime is God's plan, and when families are established and grown by the Word, what a blessed experience and what an incredible testimony! I would not change a thing. Thank you, Lord, for my wonderful husband and our family patriarch. You have been so good to me!

Two eighteen-year-olds, so sure of their future together, with faith in the Lord for the unknown.

Now, happy grandparents of 23, soon to be 25, faithful torchbearers into the future.

Tonight was a wonderful time together at a local "elegant" restaurant. Thank you, sweet Danny for your loving shepherding and patient forbearance over the years. My greatest earthly happiness would be another 44 years with you!

This song, by Tom Paxton, is one of our favorite non-hymns. It expresses the way we feel about each other.

"You Are Love"

You are the light in children's eyes.
You are the hope that never dies.
You are all the best in me,
And you forgive the rest in me.

You are courage wrapped in grace.
You are vict'rys laughing face.
You are Noah's returning dove.
You are love.

You are the welcome kiss of peace.
You are the joy of sweet release.
You are the mischievous at play.
You are the end of summer's day.

You are the soul who is my soul.
You are the half that makes me whole.
You are Noah's returning dove.
You are love.

Once the only word I knew was "I, I, I."
Nothing mattered but myself alone.
Still, a voice within me whispered, "Why? Why? Why?"
Why must you keep struggling on your own?
What an endless hill I tried to climb,
When you were there to help me all the time!

You are the garden where I walk.
You are the quiet twilight talk.
You are the comforting caress.
You are the end of emptiness.

You are the joy I longed to know.
You are the flower in the snow.
You are Noah's returning dove.
You are love.

9 comments:

The Miller Family said...

Happy, happy 44th anniversary! Yes, the Lord has greatly blessed my parents' marriage, and through your marriage he has greatly blessed your children's marriages.

Love,
Katie

P.S. May I ask which local elegant restaurant you went to?

Kelly said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Bonnie said...

Katie, the restaurant is Arabella's. It used to be in the Holiday Inn. It has always been "elegant", but never seemed so because of its location. Now it is on the corner of Central and the Central Park in Winter Haven.

What a lovely night! The park was lit up and the weather was perfect. A young man in a tuxedo was playing classical and romance classics on a grand piano, and the room was candlelit. Good food, pleasant atmosphere, and my sweetheart . . . God is good to me!

Thank y'all for your kind congratulations!

Bonnie

The Dischers said...

Those pictures of you and Daddy are so nice, Mama! Happy Anniversry to my wonderful parents!

The Lyrics posted are absolutely beautiful. I have never heard that song.

As your "child" it is a comfort to know that you two are still so much in love. Somehow, "all is well with the world." I cannot imagine it any other way.

Love you!
Beth

The Stricklen Family said...

What a lovely post! And Happy Anniversary (again and for the blog record!)!!
I agree so much with Beth. Because you all are so strong and your foundation is so firm, it puts much confidence in your children and we appreciate it and depend on that. We are building our own strong marriages because of your Biblical example to us.

I also had never heard of that song, but it brought tears to my eyes thinking of your love for each other and all you have been through together over the years.

Love you both!
Molly

Carmon Friedrich said...

Bonnie, I saw your comment on Rebecca and Steven's wedding...happy anniversary! Steven is a long-time dear friend (his mother is my best friend!) and we are so happy for them both. What a small world, isn't it? I hope all is well with you. You have blessed me so much with your sweet comments and I am very glad I have gotten to meet you. Lord willing, we will meet again!

Hugs,
Carmon

Mrs. Stokesies said...

How wonderful!! You have given your children a blessed and godly heritage. May the dear Lord bless and keep you,& may He make His face to shine upon you. Thank you for the fine example of faithfulness. Congratulations!!!
We love you, The Stokes Family

Anonymous said...

Happy belated anniversary wishes on44 years! Wonderful.

The Graves Family said...

God Bless you both on 44 incredible years!! We thank the Lord for your family. You are a true blessing in our lives!
We love you both!
The Graves