Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Cozy Day...??

(Actually, this picture isn't showing much of the storm, even though it was taken mere moments ago! But it is a good picture of our faithful old tree that is still hanging on by a few roots after Hurricane Charley, 2004. It has releafed in some strange places! Hurricane-harrassed trees always look a little spooky!)


Well, it has been an interesting day! TS Fay came by for a visit, and that always makes it a cozy day for me. Tropical storms/hurricanes are the closest we get to "hunker down" weather here, and it seems that life goes into slow motion -- very few clients coming into Danny's office; visitors and phone calls at a minimum; we surely aren't going out!! TS Fay is only slightly reminiscent of Charley, 2004 -- basically the same path, although Charley's eye passed directly over us, and Fay is to the east.

But the feeling is there -- get prepared: fill up all vehicles with gas (the lines were outrageous); be sure there are supplies for a while if needed (I am a storer, so we are ready anytime); check out the battery on the house generator (Danny's office is here, and he needs power!). Then sit back and feel cozy! Well, that's me, anyway. I haven't talked to the girls recently, so maybe they find it a good time to bake . . . or declutter . . . or get extra schooling done! (There's probably too much excitement for that!)

We are pleasantly surprised that the computer satellite is still up, so I thought I would get this posted while there was still a link to the outside world. Hmmm . . . not much else of interest! How about you S. Florida folks? Did you have a rough time? Our rain has been pretty steady, but the winds have not been bad at all. Our last big old tree near the house (see picture) is still standing, and we are thankful for that!

A few minutes ago, Danny and I were talking, and I said how comforting it is to know the Master of the winds and waves -- Danny said, even better -- that He knows us! Thank you, Lord, for showing your sovereign power through nature.

5 comments:

The Stricklen Family said...

Yes, it was basically just that -- a cozy day! Much to the children's disappointment! They were looking for some major excitement at least a few really fierce winds and major rain. But we just got steady drizzle and mild wind -- oh well! There's still plenty of time for another Charlie! (Not really!, please!)

Molly

The Miller Family said...

Well, we are 1100 miles away, but the weather was the same here...a slow, steady drizzle and cool temperatures. We canned some applesauce and pickles and then did school! -- We also milked a cow in that rain:(

NEWS FLASH!! Above is the first time I have ever used an emoticon. Save this post for posterity!

Love,
Katie

The Dischers said...

What? A cozy day?

Well, that's not how I would have described it. :< It was a horrible, traumatic experience for me that will take me at least a week to get over with the help of my wonderful support group, [[[[[VHCA. ]]]]] (Victims of Hurricane Charley Anonymous if you haven't heard of us). :/

I am just glad we have the Polk County Hurricane Channel to depend on. :) I don't know what I would have done without it. :O They even interviewed me trying to board up my house before the storm hit :(

You can see the video here - www.thedischerfamily.blogspot.com

Beth Steinburg

Tammy said...

I've been wondering how my Florida friends were doing with the weather down there. Glad it has been much less severe than predicted!

Take care!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Bonnie said...

Tammy, thanks for checking on us! It was a non-event for us, although we are still thanking the Lord for the rain! I know people in other parts of the state had some real flooding, and it will take a while for it to dry out.

Danny's brother is in the Melbourne area (which had record rainfall of over 24"), and they joked that they now have "lake-front property"!

Tammy, I imagine you will start to feel a change in the seasons pretty soon, huh? I always loved that change when we lived in Indiana, and I imagine Katie will be excited to see it coming, too! (That is, if they have everything on their little homestead winterized!)

Bonnie