Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Apples!!

Margaret Anne, Grandmother, CJ, and Abigail working on those apples!

A friend was able to get crates of apples for all of us "autumn-deprived" folks here in central FL, and I ordered 2 crates. Yes, there are only two of us, but I had a couple reasons for ordering 2 crates. Well, first, grandchildren are always asking, "Grandmama, may I have an apple?" So, I figure they will know the answer before they ask (at least for a week or two!) And since they are here often, they will also share in the bounty (see next paragraph!)

Second, I love to put up the bounty!! We have lived in Florida for 33 years, but I never cease to miss a specific time of year to put up the harvest before the cold sets in. Here, we are blessed to be able to get fresh produce year-round at good prices (even some good local produce), so the need to preserve isn't as obvious. But I still rather like the feeling of putting by for a different season, and I enjoy the process, so I do it!

And I believe it is important to teach the children to do the same. I am not a hoarder, but a storer (just ask anyone who has seen "Grandmother's store"!) Yesterday, Molly and her younger ones came by to help me for a while, and we did applesauce! I am freezing it, so I am doing up just a large stockpot at a time, rather than a huge canner-full at once.

Margaret Anne, CJ, and Abby loved the old-time apple corer-peeler-slicer, and each took turns cranking, removing the cores, cutting the slices into half-moons, and taking the remains to the chickens. I usually do make juice from the cores, but the chickens needed a treat. Then today, Katie's little ones Rachel and Joey were over when I was working, and they repeated yesterday's routine.

I cannot tell you how precious it is to watch another generation learn old, worthwhile skills. When I was a child, we lived in Washington state, and friends who owned an orchard generously included our family in the canning time, at an actual community cannery. What an experience! And of course, my grandmothers always put up quite a bit.

My children used to help me in Indiana when we were blessed with bounty from my inlaws' acre-sized garden, and we also hunted down abandoned pear and apple trees on local farms. The basement shelves were filled with glowing jewel-colored jars.

Now their children are learning that food doesn't come from some magic tin-can machine in the back of a mega-store. One year, we made pear preserves together, just as my grandmother had done with me. My husband and I believe these lessons will not be lost on the grandchildren if (and we are afraid "when") hard times may come to America, and our descendants will be glad they learned the value of "go to the ant, learn her ways and be wise".

Thank you, Tracy, for thinking of us and doing the run-around work on this good produce! And thank You, Lord, for Your mercy to America and for Your hand of bountiful blessing!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

The apples are wonderful! What a wonderful thing fresh fruit is.
It looks like you and the littles had a nice time putting up apples.
The crisp on Sunday was delicious!
I love you!!!
Love Always,
Sarah

Bonnie said...

Thank you, Sweet Sarah! Yes, we had a good time doing that. Of course, it always goes faster when you do it yourself, but how will they ever learn if they don't get their hands on the real equipment! Sarah, you know that from personal experience, right? You started out just like the younger ones and now you could run (and sometimes do!) a kitchen all by yourself. Thanks for the sweet comment.

The Graves Family said...

We are so glad that you all were blessed with those apples!!! If you want more, let me know.
Soooo....do we get some of that applesauce? Our apples didn't last long enough to get "applesauce" out of them!!!
God Bless you and yours!
Love, Tracy

Tammy said...

We got a couple of bushels of apples over the weekend...mmmmm! I love all the yummy things we can make with apples! The kids absolutely love fresh applesauce, but I typically can it and never heard of freezing it until I read your post. I assume it must turn out just as tasty by freezing?

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Bonnie said...

Yes, Tammy, freezing applesauce yields yummy results! Mine is always chunky, since I use the pictured apple slicer. I usually keep the peels on, also, since I hate to lose the good nutrients. We pick them out for the babies.

If you want a refreshing summertime treat (if they last that long!) applesauce-in-the-process-of-thawing is wonderful!

Or for winter supper, we love homemade soup and hot chunky applesauce with cinnamon, sweetener (I like agave), and butter. Of course, add some homemade bread or cornmeal pancakes. Hmm, hoping the weather cools down some soon!

I will put this reply on your blog, Tammy, in case you don't get back to this post. Y'all, Tammy has a sweet, garden-themed blog about life in Wisc. Here is the web address:
http://agarden4tam22.blogspot.com/
Some day I am going to learn how to put links in the sidebar! (Hint, hint, Kitty?)

The Stricklen Family said...

Yes - I remember those great days of my youth! I LOVED finding those old pear and apple trees and I always remember having them canned in the basement :)
Thanks for the wonderful memories, Mama! I am so glad I am able to teach my children the old time traditions that you taught us!
I love you, blessed Mother!
Molly

Bonnie said...

Thank you, sweet Molly. That means all the world to me, to know how you cherish those memories, as I do. Ladies, you will never be sorry you took the time to do tedious things with your little ones.

Tammy said...

Thank you for your response about the applesauce, Bonnie. So far I haven't been able to freeze any of the applesauce as it disappears as fast as we make it!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~