Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Are you finished??

Well, one daughter sent an email around this morning on our family loop, listing what she was giving the grandchildren, hoping to avoid duplications. It made me get out my master list (with 21 grandchildren, you need a master list) and check for duplicates (there was one) and update what had been received, what was still in transit, and a few last-minute actual "going-to-the-store-and-buying" items.

So, are you ready? With my dread of shopping, I consider the Internet the best invention in decades. My daughters take more after my husband, the shopaholic (rather, I should say, the bargainaholic), although they do their fair share of online shopping.

We still have some items to get for our Christmas play (feathers for angel wings, fake blood), although it may need to be postponed til the Sunday after Christmas, since there has been a round of flu/colds, etc. through the family, and practice has been non-existent. Wish I could record and post it here -- they are so precious. The older children love drama and music, so they work as diligently as I do to produce something special each Christmas.

Last year, we got a "terrorist" converted -- you should have seen the audience jump when the oldest grandson burst into the room shouting like a terrorist! This year, we had promised a "cowboy Christmas" for the middle grandsons, but they compromised for a sappy sentimental Civil-War era melodrama, since they would get to wear fake blood and carry guns. I must say, these are pretty good productions!

So, I guess this little reminder means I better get up from here and get to town for last-minute items! I have actually talked dh into leaving his office for a few hours to go with me. Well, are you ready?

4 comments:

Kim C. said...

Bonnie,
Having seen an impromptu musical performance by your grandchildren, I can only imagine what a pleasure a rehearsed play would be!
I'm more or less done with our Christmas shopping as well, except for some items from Vision Forum. Of course, we won't have to wait for shipping on those. :)
By the way, I was helping in the warehouse Monday and I saw an order for a family of your last name in Florida - I'm assuming it was one of your children. Hello to all!

Anonymous said...

DAUGHTER "B" Here :)

Thank you, Kim, for the compliment - since 3 of the girls you heard were mine!

Well, I thought I had done well. With a 3 month old, I did not want to be dragging around the stores. (especially not Wal-Mart!) I made one round with all the kids so they too could shop and help me, but otherwise all has been done online.

Even the older children have ordered most of their gifts on ebay and Vision Forum.

I had paced myself time-wise and financially. I had a few more items to order on Monday - the last day for free shipping on Overstock:) Then it hit...The flu. Our family has been out of comission since Saturday. Even (self-employed) dh has been down. This is the 3rd day for him, so we are really feeling it financially.
To top it all off, our online capabilities were out for 5 days too - until last night!

Oh well! The Lord knows what He's doing! After all, it's HIS birthday! Being sick gives you a lot of time to think and pray. I prayed a lot for the persecuted church, which goes through sickness without any comforts at all.

I guess I'll have to pull it together when we're through this! We will probably just postpone our own small family celebration. I want it to be special.

Anonymous said...

Daughter "M" here
We are almost ready. We have been having so much fun baking cookies and candies, etc. I feel guilty that my sister and mother have been so sick :(
I did alot of online ordering as well, with a few trips to Wal-Mart. The children (doing the baking) are all older now (Girls 15,13,10 and 7) and have been faring for themselves in the kitchen. They do quite well, I must say so :) They have done all the Christmas baking. Our son (4) hangs around in there for picks of the dough, etc. etc. He has been on cloud 9 with his new birthday bike from Grandmama and Grandaddy.

I feel the same way as "B" as far as being so thankful for a comfortable home etc. when sick. When I had a miscarriage in May, the Lord gave me such a peace and I was able to focus not on the pain and heartbreak (that did come later, the heartbreak that is) but how BLESSED I was to be in a cozy bed, with clean water, a bathroom, whatever food, drink I needed. Many women in other lands go through that and much worse in horrible conditions. We are truly blessed to live in America. Well, if I don't post until then, Merry Christmas to you all and may the Lord bless you all!

Anonymous said...

What an organised family!
Every blessing
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk