Friday, January 8, 2010

Christmas in Arkasouri

Well, this year, the Lord graciously allowed the WHOLE family to be together for Christmas -- in Missouri! What a whirlwind month it has been! The Discher family sold their little house here in Florida and moved in with us until they leave in Feb. for Missouri, so we had a few days here before taking off together for two weeks in Missouri. The sweet Stricklen family set out at about the same time from Florida, and we would join the Millers and "other" Frodges when we got to Arkasouri.

What an adventure we had! A little unorthodox, heading OUT of Florida in the winter, but we wanted to have the family together for the first time in years, so . . .




Sweet Discher girls dressed in Christmas finery. Sarah, Kitty, and Gracie (with a little Emma Jane head!)
Gracie with her mother.
Sarah with her mother. You know by now what a pitiful photographer I am. The Stricklens were at the same Sunday service, but I never pay attention to whose picture I have and whose I don't have. Visit here www.thedischerfamily.blogspot.com and here www.thestricklenfamilyblog.blogspot.com for much, much better variety of photos. These children do not miss a chance to play paparazzi!
Then on to Missouri! I believe this is the only picture I have of the trip! We caravanned -- the RV, our Durango, and Eddie driving his yellow service truck -- so we could rotate drivers and stop together. Here, Sarah Beth and little Paul get a nice nap in the RV.

So, we make it to Missouri for Christmas together. The children are such a blessing with their musical talents, always willing to fill the air with hymns, carols, bluegrass. Here, Kitty on guitar, Peter on banjo, and RG's arm on the upright bass make Christmas day a sweet time. Notice the bare house. The Dischers have hauled some things up, but most of their household is still here in Florida until Feb. So we made the most of what was available. It was all in good fun.

Callie on the dobro, Gracie on the mandolin, and Mary on the fiddle add their instruments to the good music. In the right background is a friend of daughter Katie's. Her name is Maria, and she joined the family for the day. Good to meet you, Maria!


Here is Peter on the banjo again, Sarah takes up the bass, and RG fiddles, while Grandmother just basks in it all! I love it when the Country Cousins are back together, even for just a few hours.

The girls blessed us with a rendition of "Then Love Came Down". Beautiful. Thank you, Lord, for giving your Son.

Papa Eddie and baby Paul enjoy.
***************************************************
"HERDING CATS"

Ever try to get 34 various people to pose for a rare family photo? It's like . . . well, you know.
Joey: "I wanna go outside in the snow! What?? I don't need shoes, Mama . . .!"
Matthew: "TURKEYS!! Well, anything to get me outta this!"
Sarah: "Will you people co-OPERATE!!"
Rachel: "I'm still smiling. Pleeze, take the picture!"
William: "I don't want to get my pickchur taken!"
Matthew: "It worked! I'm outta here!"
Savannah: "What's the matter, William?"
Peter: "I don't care if I'm not smiling. This is the best your gonna get!"
RG: "If I lean just right, I can finally take a nap!"
Rachel: "I'm still smiling . . ."
William: "No! I don't want my pickchur taken!"
Almost . . .
Ashley: "Come on, people. I just gave birth 2 days ago! How much longer do you think this smile can last??"
Robert: "I got home early for this??"
Matthew: "If I can get a little head start, I can be outta here . . ."
Rachel: "Now I got the front row smiling!"
William: "Stop looking at me, Mary! I don't want my pickchur taken!"
William: "Okay, take it!"
Grandmother: "A-h-h-h-h-h......! What a beautiful family! Thank you, Lord."
Next: Snow!

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Looks like you had a great time! I love the family photo "bloopers"!

Kelly

Pollock Family said...

What a wonderful time with "all" the family!! I love the pictures and the captions are hilarious :)
We have enough trouble trying to get a picture with only 10 people, I couldn't imagine trying to get one with 34.

What a blessed heritage you have.

Love,
Tina

SusanW said...

I LOVE IT!

The Stricklen Family said...

Beautiful pictures of the girls with Beth - I don't think I had seen those! They all look so nice.
What a funny contrast between the way Sarah looks in her dignified picture with Beth and then the very next picture of her asleep in the RV!

Great captions of the trying time getting EVERYONE to look and smile at once!
I think you have the best picture (at least of William smiling). I don't know that she got that on my camera.

Love you!
Molly

The Stricklen Family said...

Mama -
Could you please change the link to our blog to:
www.thestricklenfamilyblog.blogspot.com?

Thanks!
Love,
Molly

The Miller Family said...

Well, those captions of the never-ending picture taking quest were pretty accurate!

I hate that the last "good" picture shows only half of Ashley's and my face, but you have to take what you can get when there are 34 people (many who are tiny and whiny) involved!

Love,
Katie

Bonnie said...

Thanks for all the sweet comments, y'all! "Tiny and whiny!" How cute (and appropriate!). I have changed your address, Molly.

Yes, that was a fun session. And thanks to Susan and Maria for their patience with us . . . "cats".

Bonnie

Franklin Family said...

I loved the photo bloopers too!

There! I have finally posted a comment on your blog :)

KelliPaige

The Dischers said...

Your post was so nice, Mama. I loved the first one of the girls. Molly's right - that's quite a contrast between the pictures of Sarah :) So funny!

Your "progressive picture" was hilarious! You were right on target with those captions. The picture taking "experience" was truly a labor of love on everyone's part -including Susan and Maria's - but everyone will be glad we did it.

So glad we could all be together that special day.

Love,
Beth