Monday, September 7, 2009

Rabbit Trail . . .

Okay, this is a rabbit trail off to the side of our trip to Arkasouri.


See this "sweet facie"? This is Katie. Katie Miller. She questioned why her sweet facie and her husband Robert's were not on the last post. Well, Robert was not there. We didn't see him yet for several days. He will be prominently pictured in the upcoming post on our visit to the Millers'. And here is Katie's. I had this picture ready to post with her children's, but somehow, it did not get grouped with the ones I was going to post. Just a simple, honest mistake. No conspiracy, no sinister plot, no evil conspiracy.

Now . . . in the future, if I make an honest mistake and your picture (or that of one of your children) does not appear in this space, I will not carry a twinge of guilt or even regret, not for even a moment. It will be a MISTAKE! Your mother is not perfect. Your mother is becoming aged. If you want to benevolently do my posts for me and include everyone on your "sweet facie" list, you may be my guest! Otherwise, this is it!!




(I love you, Katie. I love this picture! That's why I had it picked out to post. I am truly sorry for missing it. Oh, no! there goes that twinge of guilt!)

Now, on to the rabbit trail. Today being Labor Day, dear sweet labor-addicted Danny decided it was time to . . . (drum roll) . . . (ominous music) . . . put some chickens in the freezer! He had plans for about 15 of the older ones, but Sarah Beth pleaded the cause of 6 hens. She wants to take them to the S. Elisabeth Home for Aging Hens and try to nurse them into better condition, hoping they will start laying with more regularity. So, we were down to 9 chickens whose fate was sealed. Some Dischers, some Stricklens, and one Amanda Sunshine came over early today to help do the deed.


The scalding pot over the fire. Danny mistakenly got out my wonderful 35 year old pressure canner -- oh, well, I was wanting a new one anyway!


Danny and Peter take the "whiz-bang wonder plucker" off the truck. This amazing machine belongs to friends of ours, the Waldmans, who raise yummy-tasting chickens. We are so thankful they lend it to us -- it plucks 4 chickens at a time and saves ladies' fingers!



Danny is "Head Eviscerater", although several of the older children are pretty good at it, too. A perfect time for a basic Biology lesson for the little ones!


Mary checks for any leftover pin feathers.

Mary, Sarah, and Amanda check, chill, and package in the wonderful, new mudroom. Thank you, Lord, for my mudroom!

CJ handles "Ice Patrol". Since we like to chill the chickens before they go in the freezer, the Stricklens' commercial ice machine is a blessing!

Chickens ready for the freezer! Yes, William was an official "chicken processsor" today!


After the children went home, Danny (well, let's say after a nice nap!) got inspired by the word "Labor" in "Labor Day" and planted the raised bed on the kitchen patio.


Then he headed out into the old chicken yard, and planted another one! Thanks, Sweetie!

Well, so much for the rabbit trail! Soon, I'll be back on the Arkasouri trip -- or Kitty ( http://www.thedischerfamily.blogspot.com/ ) is going to catch up and pass me on Insterstate 65 in Alabama! Thanks for all your help, sweet grandchildren! Thank you, Lord, for the ability to put food in the freezer that we trust!

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

A couple of items: 1) I do not to this day know why the orientation of the text sometimes changes to "right justified"! Oh, well!

2) Of course, you know I mean put food we trust into the freezer! Although we do trust both of our freezers pretty much, until one of them goes down. But I mean we know how the food we put into the freezer was raised and processed!

BF

The Miller Family said...

Alright, already! I won't comment on missing people in posts anymore!

You gave me such a starring role I feel downright embarrassed!

The chickens look yummy, and the mudroom looks great! Not much mud in there...must need some more grandsons down there to mud it up a little!

Love,
Katie the Neglected One

Kelly said...

Boy, what a fun trip down the Rabbit Trail with you!

We love the Frodge Family's Adventures!!

Kelly

Commercial Ice Machine said...

Nice collection of rabbit trial.............

The Stricklen Family said...

That was such a nice rabbit trail! All those cute chicken processors! William looks like he was really a part of it. I am sure he thought so!

I was wondering what you meant by your "food in the freezer that we trust" comment ~ Thanks for clarifying :) That will be so nice having a store of good, healthful chickens that you raised. I can't wait to raise some for meat.

Love you!
Molly