Monday, May 25, 2009

Rewarded!

So today (Monday) I took the berries the children picked for me and put them into one of Danny's favorite treats -- berry philo/phyllo/fillo (and all other variations thereof!).

I brush each sheet of philo dough with melted butter and sprinkle with natural sugar (or brush with agave nectar). Then I lay the berries out in the middle of the stacked philo sheets, sprinkle with more sugar and roll or close up, jelly-roll style, on a parchment paper-covered cookie sheet.

I like to slash the wrapped package on the diagonal every few inches, to make separating it into servable slices easier.

Then the top is brush with more -- guess what? -- butter! and sprinkle with more sugar before baking.

Before the "roll" goes into the oven for 15 - 18 minutes.

The reward! Seeing my sweetie enjoy his treat with a cup of hot tea.

Danny truly enjoys the things I do for him, and that makes me happy!

7 comments:

The Dischers said...

MMM...good. I love those Fillo rolls! What a nice post!

Daddy has surely been blessed for 43 years to enjoy all that good cooking and baking :)

Love,
Beth

The Miller Family said...

Mmmm, mmmm! Everything's better with butter! Blackberry phyllo sounds so delicious. I hope we find lots of berries here this year, then maybe I can try to make it!

Love,
Katie

Kitty said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!! Those look (and tasted) goooooood! :) (I....um....tastednsome this morning before I left. :-P Had to make sure they were still able to be eaten... :-P)

Love,
~Kitty~

Anonymous said...

Grandmama, you make such good phillo. It always tastes like a pastry (like from a bakery)when you take it out of the oven!

My favorite is blackberry!

Love,
Abby

The Stricklen Family said...

I just love the step by step "how to" photos! You look so cute, Mama! Who was the photographer? Don't tell me you got Daddy to do all that AND pose for a couple shots himself!
Your phillo is superb! It is such a cozy treat to have when we eat over there.
I think we had better plan a dinner date sometime soon. I'll bring the blackberries, you can make the phillo!!

Love you!
Molly

Bonnie said...

Yes, those were good! Glad y'all like them -- I am afraid I do too! Yes, Daddy was the photographer. He wasn't too happy to pose, though. He just wanted to eat in peace!

Love.
Mother/Grandmother

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious and simple. I would not want to attempt making phyllo dough!

I did find a product for painting ceramic dishes. It's put out by Delta and is a 3-step process. I haven't had a chance to get to my plate yet. It will probably have to wait until July.

Elisabeth