Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Make Them Known, Declare Them . . .



"Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old:
Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.
We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.
For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children:
That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children:
That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments"
Psalm 78:1-7

It was our privilege recently to have the 7 oldest granddaughters stay over for the night after a family get-together. As the evening came to a close, it was time for Granddaddy to break the Bread of Life to us, as he does with me most every night. He shared with me and the girls from Deuteronomy, pointing out portions that might need explanation. The girls asked insightful questions and offered sound discussion with biblical reasoning. We were impressed.
Do you notice the generations in the above portion of Psalm 78?

1) "Our fathers" (could go back for many generations)
2) "We" (counting that as my generation)
3) "Our children" (my children)
4) "The generation to come (my grandchildren)
5) "Their children" (my unborn great-grandchildren)
At least 5 generations are listed here, with instructions to never neglect the passing on of the faithfulness of God. Not only is His Word to be diligently sown into their hearts and everyday practice, but the stories of His workings in our lives and the lives of our fathers are to continue to be passed down. Why???

verse 7: That they might

1) set their hope in God
2) not forget His works
3) keep His commandments

What more could we ask for, for our precious descendants, than to have hope in the Lord for the coming hard days by not forgetting His works which we have related to them faithfully, so that they will keep His commandments and reap all the benefits of obedience? His ways never fail.

What a blessing it was to hear their strong faith and ability to "give an answer"! How blessed to know that the 5th generation will be in the hands of good, godly mothers! What a privilege we have been given to participate in their lives -- it is as it should be. Thank you, Lord, for your perfect plan for families. May you send them strong men of God and give them many children for your Kingdom!

3 comments:

The Stricklen Family said...

Oh, how precious! It warms my heart and causes me to remember those special times with my Mama and Daddy. We still have those times, don't we?
What wonderful Scriptural principles! Your impact on our children's lives is invaluable.
We thank the Lord for your influence and the time and energy you expend on their behalf.

We love you!
Molly and Chris

The Miller Family said...

What a wonderful way to end a day...curled up on the couch listening to Granddaddy reading the Holy Word of God.

I'm sure hearing the accurate, Biblical responses from the girls was just as encouraging.

I agree with Molly, it causes me to remember times like that from our childhood!

Both are precious memories that will never be forgotten.

Love,
Katie

The Dischers said...

Great expostition on this scripture! God's Word never fails in its relevance.

The children are always blessed to spend times like these with their grandparents! They will someday look back with fondness as I do on the sweet times spent listening to my grandparents read the Word and pray.

Love you!