Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year!

Well, I can come with eyes downcast, hat in hand (figuratively) begging forgiveness once again. Or with reason upon reason (excuses) for not updating since (gasp!) November. Let me just throw myself upon your mercy. I am sorry.
There. That's done. Thank you for your forgiveness.

This has been a blessed season for our family. Thanksgiving was truly thankful -- we had the privilege of being with Katie and family in Arkansas the first part of November, and the Lord led us to a wonderful property in S. Missouri (about an hour from Katie). It has 223 acres -- some pasture, some woods -- with 2 houses and a creek. It is a lovely piece to establish a multigenerational retreat for our family. A (non-descript) picture of it is on my post of Nov. 11, with Danny and Beth walking through the pasture. (I haven't figured out how to link to previous posts yet!)

If you know me in IRL, you know how I injured my left leg between Christmas and New Year's Day. I am wheelchair-bound right now on doctor's orders, but thanking the Lord that I am already feeling improvement and better able to take care of myself. My sweet husband has been my knight-protector and provider. With a strained knee himself, he has done all he could to make this misery more tolerable. Thank you, Lord, for Danny.

After Thanksgiving, we are energized by the upcoming season of celebrating the first Advent of the Lord Jesus, and preparations/activities begin in earnest. Here are some pictures of different enjoyable and significant events along the way.

Sweet Sarah making hot cocoa to take on the caroling adventure. Uncle Chris towed a hay-wagon loaded with carolers through Bartow, singing and playing for residents. What a wonderful evening!
The Dischers hosted a gingerbread house party. This is my "team" -- Margaret Anne, Markie, Abigail, and Rosie put together a cute little house for me to take home. Hmmm, wonder what happened to all those lemon drops over the season???
More "architects" -- Terrie Tanner and daughter Amanda working on their creation.

The sweet Waldman family at church. These boys are truly "men of God". They know how to work -- plucking chickens, helping around the property, and they will give you a manly handshake. Chelsea and Moriah are precious women of God, and baby Isaiah is everyone's favorite cuddle at church!!

Grandmama and Granddaddy with the sweet Stricklen children on Christmas day.
Uncle Jason and Aunt Ashley with Savannah, William, and CJ. Not quite sure what Callie is thinking about.
The sweet Discher children with Grandmama and Granddaddy.

My mother with Brother DeVern Fromke, a family friend of at least 50 years. Brother Fromke and my father, Kye Harris, used to travel the country speaking at Bible conferences, and our family went along many times. Oh, how I thank God for those years when His precious truths were sown into my life! Brother Fromke has written several books on the Christian life which have been a blessing to thousands. He spends time in Florida in the winters, so he and his wife come to church every so often. What a blessing!

On New Year's Day, our BIG family (my extended Harris family) gathers at our house for another Christmas celebration. Here some of the grandchildren are joined by their 2nd cousin, Whitley, on the cello (far left). They blessed us with beautiful Christmas tunes and bluegrass numbers.

I'm hoping to get a few more pictures up before it turns springtime or summer, but the grandchildren are always faithful to post on their families' blogs, so I direct you there for more! You will have a ball with their creations!

www.thedischerfamily.blogspot.com
www.thestricklenfamily.blogspot.com










3 comments:

The Miller Family said...

Those are great pictures! We will have to send pictures of the Miller children with their presents from Grandmother and Granddaddy so they can be included in the blog as well!
Love,
Katie

The Stricklen Family said...

Thanks for the sweet memories! What great pics :) I love the one of you and the girls with your gingerbread house.
We are praying for your speedy recovery.

Love you!
Molly

The Dischers said...

What a nice recap! I love the picture of Grandmother and Bro. Fromke!

I am so glad we could go on with the day despite your set back. Thanks for forging on ahead!

Love,
Beth