Monday, May 21, 2007

Oh, My Stars!

Oh, my stars! Is there anything more wonderful than fresh, wild blackberries?? Yesterday, we went back to Uncle Robert’s (our son-in-law) secret bayhead to pick the most gorgeous, huge, juicy, sweet blackberries. We took 3 trucks this time, filled with grandchildren of every size and shape, and parents and grandparents – almost everyone joined the fun. Even 2 week old Baby William came along and did remarkably well out in the wilds.

It was a beautiful day. The property is back behind ours, even more secluded. Robert and his boys have permission from a local large property owner to seed the woods and edge of the pasture for hogs, turkey and deer (in anticipation of hunting season), and thus they discovered the treasure trove of berries.

We picked and ate and ate and picked, and every family came home with plenty. Tonight, I got out the fillo dough and put together a quick berry roll with agave, butter and berries. Danny raved and enjoyed with coffee. That’s his kind of treat!

Picking berries like this reminds me so of my Grandmother Whitley, my mother’s mother. We were close to my sweet grandmother, even living with her a couple of times in my childhood. She was a widow from the time I was 5 months old, and we did many old-time activities with her. I loved it. She would tell us stories of the old days – she was born in 1898. We went berry picking with her out in the woods, and it is my hope that my grandchildren will have the same kinds of precious memories I have of time with my grandmother.

What a joy to see the faces of the 17-year-old as well as the babies when they came upon an especially large plump jewel. And what a blessing that they were so willing to help Grandmother and Granddaddy fill a cooler, too. Margaret Anne brought me several longer than an inch, and Gracie found some wild begonias (believe it or not!) and made me an old-fashioned nosegay with flowers, berries, and leaves. Of course, the boys interspersed adventuring with picking, which was just fine. Oh, what a lovely day! Thank you, Lord, for Your wonderful world.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I can't believe you are already eating blackberries, Bonnie! I'm jealous as that is a late summer treat for us :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Bonnie said...

Tammy, I know. It's different down here. Our State Fair is in February; strawberry season has come and gone; it is HARD to grow stuff in August and September; but October starts a new growing season.

Thanks, Tammy, and everyone else who has commented lately. I appreciate hearing from you. Off to make another blackberry roll for dd Molly and her family!