Saturday, May 26, 2007

BLIND . . .

I have been quite blind (legally) for some time now. Well, actually, if my eyesight was not correctible, I would be considered legally blind. It is a burden I have borne since childhood, and I thank God that corrective lenses are available and affordable for my condition. In my early twenties, Danny bought me contact lenses, when they were still fairly expensive and novel, and what a blessing they were! I wore contacts until one particularly difficult hurricane season, which caused me to be plagued with sinus headaches, and contacts exacerbated the problem. So I went back to glasses.

Well, those who know me know I don’t care for going to the doctor, any doctor, no matter what the occasion. But I had been bringing shame and disgrace on my poor husband’s reputation for long enough. The legs of my glasses frame have been loose and coming off for several years. I figure there is always something you can do, some creative home remedy, to show how frugal you are and stay out of the doctor’s office! So, for years, I have been . . . ummm . . . using superglue, toilet paper, and brown mascara to “fix” them.

See, you just superglue a little (teeny) piece of tissue paper into place on one end of the leg, and then force it onto its place on the main frame. When it dries (they are right, it dries QUICK!) use the mascara to color it darker to match the frame. See? Another trip to the doctor avoided!

Well, this past Thursday, Danny insisted we both go in to see where things stand. He has good eye health, slight near-sightedness and slight far-sidedness. With the close work he does in engineering, the doctor thought he should get a pair of prescription “cheaters”.

My turn came. I am still legally blind, but my prescription has changed woefully. I will be getting another pair of glasses in a week or so, with cheaters built in. In the meantime, the doctor gave me a pair of contacts to see how I like them. I put them in today.

WWWOWWW! What a difference! I can see! I did not know how blind I really was, and have been for years, until the doctor opened my eyes. With these contacts and a nice little pair of librarian cheaters (sit on the end of the nose) I feel like I have new eyes! Of course, the contacts will take getting used to again, but I have been wearing them today for quite a while and all seems to be well. How nice!

I have been thinking about our spiritual eyes. We think all is well and we are seeing just fine. But things have been slipping, even deteriorating. We try all sorts of creative ways to avoid an appointment with Dr. Jesus. We think we can do just fine in our own “sight”. Never mind that we aren’t seeing what He wants us to see. Never mind that our way is never a substitute for His.

Then He gets ahold of us: “the eyes of your understanding being enlightened”. We are excited when we finally see. We are flooded with sorrow and shame that we resisted so long. We are grateful to the Great Physician, Who will make us whole if we submit our will to His. Thank you, Lord. Your principles have been Clearly Seen this week. I am so grateful that your mercy is everlasting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like what you wrote. I wonder if you have heard of a type of bullying that is going on called mobbing and gangstalking and what we can do about it. Also, about a place called Bohemian Grove in California. What do you think about the end times? And what about the Seventh Day Adventist Church? What about the Navy buildings in Sand Diego that are shaped like swastikas that you can find by typing in "Navy swastika". Who or what do you think is the anti-Christ?

Anonymous said...

What a blessing, mother! I really appreciated this analogy. Praise the Lord that the entrance of His Word gives light to the simple (me). He is so faithful.

Love,
Beth
-- who is SO glad to know that those glasses have been laid to rest -- like my can-opener. Oh! That's another story.

Bonnie said...

Anonymous 1: Hmmm . . .

Anonymous 2: My precious oldest daughter Beth. Do I sense a "guest blogger" entry? "The Case of the Crotchity Can-opener"? Kitty (who is here at my house right now, sewing) has filled me in on the solemn occasion, so Beth, you have to let the world know the rest of the story!

Anonymous said...

Bonnie,

I'm glad you are getting new glasses! I know what it's like to all of a sudden 'be able to see!" You'll have to post a picture of you in your new glasses. Oh and I think I need to know about Beth's can opener. Well, I have clothes to fold, so I better run.
Lynn

Anonymous said...

That's a great story, Bonnie. I love your connection, and I appreciate the reminder to correct my vision, which needs to be done daily here.

And that anonymous person is quite interesting. Maybe they need a new prescription.

Blessings,
Carmon

P.S. Looking forward to "seeing" you all in VA!