Monday, January 15, 2007

Incredible Era . . .

(My, oh my, I am wordy today! Well, it's on my heart.) My husband and I just finished reading a remarkable book which has solidified our thinking in some important areas of life. We have begun realizing more and more what an incredible era we have been blessed to live in, by the sovereignty of our faithful Heavenly Father. Our parents were born at the beginning of the depression, and both of our fathers saw (very) active duty in WWII. We were amongst the first of the Boomers – post-WWII babies. Although my family was very poor all during my childhood, we were never hungry. We had an automobile, and by the time I was a teen, we were able to afford a used TV. We lived frugally, but we were not urchins.

The years my husband and I spent in “full-time” (notice the quotes) ministry were very tight financially. Our children learned frugality from the cradle up, also. But they had a good childhood (they say today), and we even took a vacation or two.

What am I saying? It is an incredible era when poor folks can have a good life, all needs met, no starvation. Most of history has been hard for the world’s population, but America has had unprecedented bounty since WWII. I believe our generation (Boomers) has lived through a time which may not be repeated in America’s history. I believe we have been prosperous in many ways, due to the last remnants of the influence of our godly forbears. If we are not faithful with that heritage, our grandchildren will not see that good America that I knew as a child.

My husband and I turn 60 years old this year. This antiquity gives us a certain perspective – so much has changed and seems to be changing with exponential quickness. The book we finished is Mark Steyn’s “America Alone – the End of the World as We Know It.” It is a fascinating and eye-opening read. Facts are facts. Numbers are numbers. God’s people need to be about the business of strengthening and encouraging Christian families if we appreciate America as we know it. We need to be vigorous in vision, beyond the ends of our noses. The church today is as wrapped up in the “now” as the world. Where will this leave our children? We had better prepare them for life as the Remnant, or we will answer to their Shepherd. God help us to be faithful.

3 comments:

Granny said...

Bonnie, thanks for the encouragement to get this one on my reading list. Steyn is a favorite of mine and I've heard so many good things about this book that I will put it near the top of my list :-)

Bonnie said...

I heard his common sense style on a talk radio program and figured his book would make sense, too. It does. It is now making the rounds through the family -- just another encouragement that, not only are our many grandchildren an indescribable blessing to us personally, but they will be part of a Remnant that will strengthen our culture in the future. Thanks for reading, Granny.

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Granny said - I, too, have been seeing a lot of good things about Steyn. I need to get this book!

So nice to find your blog, Bonnie, and see how you and your family are doing. I've always enjoyed your widsom and Godly perspective.