Thursday, January 18, 2007

Finished

16 yo granddaughter Sarah has come over the last two days to learn how to sew a Civil War (or I should say "War between the States) re-enactment dress. Last year her sister Kitty was able to be an "ice angel" at the Brooksville Massacre re-enactment, and they have several other homeschooling friends who are also involved, so Sarah was ready to try. With the re-enactment coming up Saturday, we knew we better kick it in high gear.

We shopped for appropriately homespun fabric and trims (although we did concede to a zipper) and cut the dress out yesterday. I knew that table tennis/pool table was taking up huge space for a reason! As we went along, I felt I should tell her about the "real" way to do certain steps, learned many years ago in Home Ec class. I did not want to fail to expose her to the "right" way, but then off we went on Grandmama's shortcuts! I found out she is a common sense sewer like me, so we were a good fit.

Today, I had to leave with dh for a few hours just as she came to the zipper. I gave her basic guidelines, and when I got home, she had done a beautiful job of setting in the zipper! As we neared the end of the whole process, she said she had learned two things it took me a while to learn years ago: 1) sometimes pinning things up is really shorter than trying to hold things in place; and 2) the iron is your friend -- keep it handy!

So dh took her home a few minutes ago with an adorable Prairie Muffin dress, simple, practical, yet beautiful, and her "ice angel" apron, which we made without a pattern (a perfect exercise to demonstrate the practicality of math). I think I feel as satisfied with a job well done today as she does -- after all, investing my life into a darling granddaughter's is about as satisfying as it gets. Thank you, Beth and Eddie for allowing us the time, and especially, thank you, Lord.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a former student at the school of "Mama's Shortcuts", I can attest to the fact that many times the shortcuts worked just as well and the results were just as good as the "Home Ec" way. And Now It's Time For...A Great Spiritual Truth... There are many ways to accomplish different things, as long as they are grounded in truth and in God's Principles. Many people consider Home-Schooling the equivalent to the Shortcut Method of sewing..."If you don't sit at a desk and look at a teacher and use a chalkboard, etc., how can you learn???". But, when Homeschooling is grounded in truth and God's Principles, you get a much better result(of course!)without all of the wasted time and effort of doing things the "Traditional" way. Well, I actually was just going to post to say that I was impressed with Sarah's sewing, but I guess the longwinded nut doesn't fall far from the tree!

Love,
Daughter K.

Anonymous said...

Sarah was so blessed to have worked side by side with her intelligent grandmother and see the very practical ways to accomplish a sewing task. The dress is lovely and she SO enjoyed being an ice angel! Thank you, Mama!

Love, Daughter B