Saturday, August 1, 2009

Boston! Part 4: Homeward Bound

What a blessing our trip was! Thank the Lord His people find a way to come together and commemorate great things and great providences, even in hard times. We will never forget the things we learned about God's strong hand through the centuries, guiding and preserving, building and establishing. All the tendrils of His sovereignty, weaving through the ages and drawing, drawing us to Himself -- as a nation and as families.

Here are a few last pictures as we head home!
All the sweet (and manly) Stricklen children in costume in front of the authentic replica ( ! ) of the Liberty Bell.

CJ, God's purposeful older brother, guiding Wills in their testimony march through the Boston Gardens.

CJ dutifully keeping William in step with the parade! What adorable warriors! (Hmmm, do those words go together?? Grandmothers think so!)

Purposeful maidens step out of character for a second to acknowledge the grandfather behind the camera! When these young ladies joined together in singing hymns of the faith, the streets of Boston rang like they haven't in years! What a beautiful testimony!

Colonel John Eidsmoe, one of our favorite speakers. He is currently working with Judge Roy Moore in Judge Moore's run for the governorship of Alabama. May the Lord bring it to be -- we need such godly men in the gates!

One of my father's heroes of the "conservative" movement (actually, the movement to restore America to the faith of her fathers), Howard Phillips (in wheel chair) with his son and founder of Vision Forum, Doug Phillips (in white jacket). What a blessing that some of the old warriors are still here to see the fruits of their labors!

Here is Danny, right, with Geoff Botkin, center, (another of our favorite speakers!) doing what men do: discussing how to implement the principles and precepts of the Word to the saving of their families. Thank God for faithful men who understand the times!

After the Stricklens got on the road home, Danny and I, along with Susan, Chris's mom, were left with a day to relax and enjoy with no obligations. We had dinner at the restaurant I had been wanting to try all week! It was Maggiano's Little Italy, across from our hotel, and it was wonderful! Susan, whose late husband John Muccino was (real) Italian, says the food was authentic, and the atmosphere was as good as the food. We had a lovely meal.

The train route followed the New England coastline for quite a ways, which allowed us to see things we don't see in Florida. This is the "Block Island Ferry" (don't know where Block Island is, but it looked interesting.)
Neat rows and rows of sail boats. I know we have lots of marinas with lots and lots of sail boats in Florida, but these just seemed, well . . . New Englandy! I mean, I don't know if I will ever get to New England again in my life (or if I even care!), so I thought these made a nice memory.

Ahhh, palm trees! The Winter Haven train station! And beyond the (intrusive but dedicated) conductor waits, once again, our lovely chauffeur!

Granddaddy was happy to see her sweet, smiling face . . .

And so was Grandmother! Home again! Thank you, Lord, for a wonderful trip and such precious treasures to come home to!

4 comments:

The Dischers said...

Ah! The first one to post! I feel like I'm back into civilization a bit.

Wonderful post! Praise God for godly leaders and brethren! That picture of Mr. Howard Phillips, being carefully guided through the crowd by his grandson and son, as he leads once more in a righteous cause after so many years of fighting was exteremely touching. (I know...I know...that was a run on sentence)

Those Stricklen warrior lads were the cutest soldiers in the group :) (I'm a little baised I know!) I just LOVED seeing CJ lead his sweet little brother, all dressed in their costumes! The girls were lovely too of course.

Susan looked like she had a great time with ya'll. I thoroughly enjoyed the posts. Thanks

Love,
Beth

The Stricklen Family said...

Ahh! Now that's the way to end a trip! Thanks for indulging me! The Children's Parade was great. What a blessed memory ~ One I will never forget. It brought such hope to all who witnessed it. I am so glad our children were a part of that. It was so moving, it almost brings tears to my eyes just remembering.

Maggiano's sounds delightful!
I am jealous.
I loved your "New Englandy" sailboats. They do look different than Florida ones for some reason.

And Kitty, what a precious and welcoming sight :)
So glad you all went and shared that memorable, life changing and challenging, historical and triumphant celebration with us!!

Love you!
Molly

The Stricklen Family said...

That is so funny, Beth! I was JUST about to publish my comment about 20 minutes ago when MR. WILLIAM decided to "Push that button". He admitted he had pushed the button to turn my computer off. So I just watched the comment and screen and all disappear. I had to restart everything, reconnect to the internet, open Blogger, etc. etc.
I just thought it was ironic that you rejoiced in being the first one to comment. It is funny as I was commenting the FIRST time, I was thinking the same thing. And because of little Wills' naughtiness, you BEAT ME by 6 minutes!!

Molly

The Miller Family said...

Such wonderful pictures! I would have to say that the pictures of William and CJ are just the sweetest things! It is very touching to get to see CJ be the big brother. Te Girls looked lovely, and I think I would have had tears in my eyes if I had been at the parade, as well.

Your scenery pictures were very scenic. I think the most inviting was probably the train station with a beloved granddaughter in the background, though.

Can't wait till y'all get up here!

Love,
Katie