Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Special Celebration Part 1

Last month, we received an invitation to join my father's family, the Harrises of North Carolina, for a special celebration of my dear Aunt Mary Lee's 90th birthday. We immediately called my mother to see if she would like to make the trip with us, since she and Aunt Mary Lee have been like sisters for well over 60 years. Well, when the word got out to the grandchildren, decisions were made! Six of the granddaughters would make this trip -- 4 Stricklen girls and 2 Dischers. With Great-grandmother Harris, Grandmother (me) and 6 girls, Granddaddy was outnumbered by 8 to one! We said he was our chauffeur/bodyguard for a girls' weekend away! Of course, we had to pamper him, too!


Off we went up I-95 -- here is Granddaddy with his "girls" at breakfast on the first morning in a lovely campground. I was taking the picture from the RV, since getting up and down the steps is not easy right now!

Every trip has to include one stop at Cracker Barrel, at least! Since they are so good about letting RVs stay in their parking lot, we have no hesitation to give them our patronage! Most of our meals, however, are in the RV, with many preparations done at home and goodies baked by these accomplished bakers -- even Margaret Anne contributes to the treats! She is as accomplished a baker as the older girls.

Our first major stop was at a Family Integrated Churches conference in central North Carolina. I don't know why no one remembered to get the camera out, but we don't have pictures from it! We enjoyed good fellowship and good barbeque at our friends' farm, the Allen Smiths.

Then it was on to see my Uncle Charles, my mother's brother. Mother had not planned to visit him, but Danny insisted that we make the time. I am so thankful for my precious husband, who loves my family like his own. Above are Mother, Uncle Charles, and his wife, Aunt Polly. What a good, though short, visit we had!

Mother discovered that Uncle Charles' cancer has resurfaced, and he is undergoing another round of treatments. He was physically very weak when we came, but he brightened up to be able to spend unexpected precious moments with his "little" sister. What a joy to see them together!
Uncle Charles and Aunt Polly were delighted when the girls brought out instruments and played and sang for them! My mother's family played bluegrass music together many, many years ago. Before World War II, it was their favorite Saturday evening activity to gather around -- my Grandfather Whitley, Uncle Charles, Uncle Lloyd, Uncle Bascom, and sometimes other relatives, with Grandmother Whitley at the piano -- singing and laughing and strengthening family bonds.

When I realized how ill Uncle Charles was, I knew the Lord would give strength to make the walk to the house to see him and Aunt Polly. He hugged me and cried, saying how much our family means to him. What a poignant time it was! Thank God, after years of not being sure of his relationship to the Lord, we were able to hear Uncle Charles give a clear testimony of his salvation and faith in Jesus as his Savior!
Then it was on to . . . Uncle Bob's!!

Uncle Bob is the family character on my father's side. When I was a child, every family holiday and get-together was made so special because we knew Uncle Bob would tell stories and crack jokes and generally lift everyone's spirits. He is just a year younger than my daddy, number 11 of 12 children. He is the "keeper of the flame" for the family now -- his home is filled with pictures and memorabilia so that he can pass on to new generations the stories of our ancestors. Here (above) he and Mother and Abby enjoy dinner at his favorite BBQ place, where they all know Uncle Bob!

Sweet girls enjoy some of that great Carolina BBQ!
Coming up . . . we arrive at the celebration for Aunt Mary Lee, the reason for the trip! Thank you, Lord, for our LARGE and precious family and for the faithful multi-generational vision that has been the guiding force on both sides of the family. I am a blessed link in that chain!

4 comments:

The Miller Family said...

What a wonderful post! I can't wait for part two...and maybe part three!

I'm so glad that Grandmother got to see Uncle Charles, and that Uncle Charles got to see you and Daddy and all the girls.

I bet that R.V. was packed tight, what with 9 bodies in there, but I bet it was worth every minute!

Love,
Katie

The Stricklen Family said...

Beautiful pictures! I am so glad you all went and were ministering life wherever you went!

What a blessing to see!

Love,
Molly

The Dischers said...

"Ties that bind" are so precious. I really enjoyed reading about your trip.

Praise the Lord that Grandmother could visit with Uncle Charles. I am sure that was a very meaningful time for both of them.

Thanks for letting Kitty and Markie go along. They enjoyed it so much - thay always like to see "Uncle Bop" and count it a privelege to spend special times with their grandparents and great-grandmother.

Love,
Beth

Love,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures of the trip. Looked fun, if your into pretend camping senior citizen style.

I know you waited until I left North Carolina to start on your trip. lol ( sounds like something you would say to me if the tables were turned, but im used to it. lol)

Love
Your only son-in-law
who posts.

catfish