Friday, March 13, 2009

My Kind of Day!

Yesterday (Thursday) was my birthday. At this age, some people want to forget birthdays, but hey, I believe each year is a gift from God, and I wanna celebrate! But not in the way most people do. When the girls asked what I wanted for my birthday, I told them, "Just bring dinner and your families, and give me the gift of time!!" There is nothing I love more than having my family spend the evening with me and their daddy, so that is just what they did!

The day started out pleasantly, with my precious mother and my dear friend, Molly's mother-in-law, Susan, both sending me sweet ecards, with perfect pictures, perfect music, and perfect thoughts of love and friendship. Then the phone calls from my son Jason and daughter Katie, who could not be here. What a joy to just spend time talking with my adult children and knowing that they want to talk and share their hearts!



















About mid-day, my sweet husband brought me beautiful flowers and blessed my forehead with a kiss -- this is something he does regularly, and I carry it with me all day!

















What a wonderful man to spend my birthday with!




















Then sweet little Markie and Rosie came over to help Grandmother straighten up the kitchen before the evening's festivities. What a blessing to listen to them singing earnestly and enthusiastically while they work! It passes so fast -- Mamas, enjoy it while you are able!



They wouldn't accept any pay to help for Grandmother's birthday, but they were willing to enjoy a Dove bar for a treat and a few minutes to read, read, read!























Sweet Gracie made me what has to be my very favorite cake for a birthday cake -- a lemon angel-food cake with homemade lemon curd! It was soooo delicious! Granddaddy and I often muse about the blessed young men who are waiting to be revealed who will be the beneficiaries of these girls' culinary talents! What a blessing our family has in these accomplished bakers!



















She decorated it with beautifully fragrant lemon blossoms, which, conveniently, grow right here!

Little Emma Jane (who still thinks it was her birthday) and Margaret Anne watch Grandmother ham it up.




Hey, everyone needs to blow out a birthday candle, even if it is imaginary, right? Homemade lemon curd awaits on the left.



Liberty Dollies came to the party, too, as they usually do. They spent a lot of time enjoy reading fellowship.



We ended the evening watching "Fireproof" together. What a blessing to be able to enjoy a good, God-honoring movie together -- we laughed, we cried, we held our breath and rejoiced when all turned out well. And so the evening capped off just the kind of day I love when it is my opportunity to choose. Thank you, Lord, for my precious family, and thank you, family, for a wonderful birthday! (And thank you, Kitty, for helping me edit this boondoggle!)

12 comments:

Whiddon Family said...

The cake Grace made looked beautiful! It looks like you had a wonderful birthday.
Thank you for posting!

Laney

The Stricklen Family said...

What a wonderful day! Those flowers from Daddy are beautiful :) I am so glad you enjoyed your day and the evening meal and movie. We sure did as well! That cake was something! Absolutely fabulous!!

I love and appreciate my blessed Mother so very much. I am SOOO grateful you are here for us and willing to bless us with your wisdom, time, talents, and love. You bring us so much joy and enrich our lives every day.
I thank the Lord for the consistent testimony of holy living that you are to me and my family. I strive to be depended upon by my family in that same way.

May God continue to keep His hand on you and bless you with life and health and MANY more birthdays to share!
Love you!
Molly

The Miller Family said...

What a great way to celebrate your birthday! We all wish we could have been there to celebrate with you, but I'm sure glad you had a wonderful time without us.

I thank the Lord for my precious mother and I'm so grateful that I can always depend on her to be faithful, principled, and God-fearing, as well as tender, compassionate and gracious!

Love,
Katie

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that pic of us reading and eating ice cream was gonna be on your blog!!!!
Rose said "Oh no it's on the blog!!"
I love you Grandmama,
Love,
Markie

Kitty said...

Happy Birthday once again. :) The flowers were beautiful, the cake lovely, the Grandmother gorgeous, and Firproof wonderful. :)

Love,
~Kitty~

Kitty said...

Uh.... Fireproof. :-P

The Dischers said...

Oh! Mama! It is so nice to know that you truly enjoyed your day - you sure deserved it!

I love that picture of you and Daddy with the flowers. It's so wonderful to see the love you have for each other after 43 years! YOu have definitely worked on "Fireproofing" you marriage!

Glad you enjoyed your "Lemon Indulgence" cake!

Love you!
Beth

Anonymous said...

Aww, it looks like ya'll had a wonderful time, wish we could have been there! Please, please, please forgive me for not calling you to wish you a happy birthday due to my absent minded-mind. Happy belated Birthday! I hope it was great!

Love you,
Ashley

Bonnie said...

Thank you so much, everyone! Yes, it was a wonderful day and y'all made it so special!

Kitty -- umm, I was wondering why we needed to guard against evergreens!!

Ashley -- please don't be concerned -- Jason said Happy Birthday for all of you!

Love to all
Mother/Grandmother

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday from The Stevens Family!!

Anonymous said...

Let me add birthday greeting to you, too. I can see you are very blessed with the love of your family. What a heritage!

And talent. You family has so much talent. A little while back I saw a video of you singing with your sisters. It was beautiful.

Gracie's cake was gorgeous and sounds quite delicious.

Blessings to you,
Elisabeth in Arizona

Catfish said...

I guess I should say something. No crying when you read this. It might make me cry if I knew you cried. I must say for the past 20 plus years I have known you. There has not been anybody that has nagged me like you have. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. It almost brings tears to my eyes when you sign a note written to by with nag-in-law. Man, is that the understatment of the century. It has been a pleasure to be on the recieving end of all that loving nagging over the years. I wouldnt want to be nagged by anyone else but you. There isnt anyone that does as good as you. Happy B-DAY
Mrs Fro.

Your nagged in law
Robert