Thursday, August 9, 2007

Old Paths, part 2

We were talking last month (well, I couldn’t get many of you to talk, so I guess I was talking!) about Jeremiah 6:16. I gave my word to return to the topic and continue on to the last part, and it is about time I did! This verse relates how the Lord once more extended His mercy to His people and gave them instructions for accomplishing His plan, which would result in rest for their sin-sick souls.

In Jeremiah 6:16, we find several imperatives, “Thus saith the LORD, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls . . .” Let me say “sorry” to the folks who see them as suggestions; you know, if life really gets discouraging or hopeless, you might try these. Hey, couldn’t hurt, could it? No, that is not God’s way. He has given these imperatives:

STAND – take time to stop and stand still. Contemplate.

SEE – Open our eyes, the entrance of God’s Word gives light to the eyes. Really see.

ASK – Take the initiative. How foolish to sit back and wait for the Lord to snap us to attention (although He does this sometimes). Actually ask the Lord for the old paths, because that is where the good way is.

WALK – begin to take steps down the old paths. Move one foot in front of the other, do the next thing. Take action. Obey His imperative.

THEN! Then you will find rest for your souls. I cannot tell you how many people, mothers mainly, who share with me their heart-sickness over their children. They are not at rest. They are at an age when they should have rest in their souls about their children. But they did not choose the old paths. They thought the world was so much more up-to-date and “enlightened”. They thought, “Oh, everything will work out okay.” It is almost as if they have quoted the remainder of the verse in Jeremiah 6:16, “We will not walk therein.”

Can you imagine arguing with God, contradicting Him, when He gives imperatives? Can you imagine thinking we know more than Him about what will give rest to our souls? Some know the truth and refuse it, because it is an inconvenient time for them to take the old paths. It is not fun and does not bring what the world paints as “fulfillment”. Others truly do not know. They have not been shown a better way.

God help us to be faithful women of the Word for His glory. May He bring those across the paths of our families who need rest for their souls, women and families we can show a better way – those we can teach by example and precept. He will use His faithful women if we will ourselves submit to His plan for us and follow the old paths. Thank you, Lord, for Your goodness and mercy in giving us hope and light on the path.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an encouraging word! Thank you, Mama! Yes - we will choose the old paths! May the Lord bless you, my BLESSED Mother.

Molly

Anonymous said...

Sorry I have to leave it as "anonymous", but it always says my Google password is incorrect when I try and leave a comment directly from your blog. It works if I go through the Google website.
Molly

Anonymous said...

I always appreciate your insight. I am enjoying more and more living a "plain and simple" life. (according to many) It doesn't seem very plain and simple to me, but to many I guess it would seem boring, but I would not trade the peace that comes from following HIS (old) paths for any amount of glitzy sophistication!! (I DO like my flashy gold Christmas shirt, though ha ha!) Love, Beth

Anonymous said...

All I can say is a Big AMEN!!! Thank you Mrs. Frodge for always being a source of encouragement for me!!! I guess I said more than amen. You understand.